Minnie Smith, a loving grandmother and devoted churchgoer, met a tragic end on December 15, 2005. The 66-year-old was found dead in her California home, beaten repeatedly with a metal fireplace tool that caused severe injuries to her face and skull. Her hands were tied behind her back and her ankles were duct-taped. It was evident that she had tried to defend herself, as she had a defensive wound on her forearm. Additionally, she had burns on her toes. The crime scene had a profound impact on Susan Kang, a member of the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, who saw the disturbing photos and noted the presence of Christmas presents just days before the holiday.

The case of Minnie Smith’s murder is being featured on Oxygen’s true-crime docuseries, “The Real Murders of Orange County.” The show delves into the shocking homicides that have occurred in the affluent Southern California community. The upcoming episode includes interviews with investigators, loved ones, and legal experts, with Minnie Smith’s son, Bennie Thomas, among the participants. Kang felt a personal connection to Minnie Smith and believed her story deserved attention to ensure she would not be forgotten.

Initially, it seemed that Minnie Smith had fallen victim to a failed robbery attempt. The perpetrator had ransacked the house, found a floor safe in the closet, and emptied it. Various valuable items were missing, including a diamond-encrusted Cadillac emblem, a gold medallion, a diamond ring, and a liquor bottle. However, investigators were puzzled by certain aspects of the crime. Many other valuable items, including the Christmas gifts, remained untouched. Additionally, all the firearms in the house were still present. This raised doubts about the typical behavior of burglars, as well as the behavior of Smith’s husband, Marvin Vernis Smith, who did not exhibit signs of distress following his wife’s brutal murder.

Cypress, the city where the Smiths lived, was regarded as a safe and prosperous community, leading investigators to question the nature of the crime. The couple had been married since the 1970s, building a fortune worth over $5 million. Despite outward appearances, their marriage was fraught with turmoil, as Marvin had multiple affairs. He maintained a secret residence where he engaged in relationships with various mistresses. Minnie seemingly turned a blind eye to these infidelities, but her son claims she was aware of them. Marvin also had a history of violence, having assaulted Minnie in the past and engaged in violent altercations with others.

During the investigation, Marvin made a disturbing statement to a former employee, implying that death was the only way he and his wife could escape their marriage. Eventually, the missing jewelry was found in the trunk of Marvin’s car, and the duct tape used to bind Minnie’s ankles matched the tape on the jewelry box. DNA evidence further linked Marvin to the crime. He was arrested on December 23, 2005, and was convicted of first-degree murder on December 17, 2007. Greed emerged as the driving force behind the crime, as there was a significant amount at stake in the couple’s estate.

Leave A Reply